Level: Master Thesis
Autonomous Mobility Data Platform: Value Proposition, Governance and Business Model for the Platform Economy Framework
Observing our changing mobility landscape, new innovative solutions within the field of autonomous driving are emerging everyday. Platform based services such as Mobility-as-a-service (MaaS), Car-as-a-service (CaaS), car pooling, ride hailing, and many more are leading to various changes on how mobility is perceived. As vehicles are often no longer seen as something to be owned, but more as a service, related platforms are getting more popular everyday.
This leads to a new set of challenges to involved actors, such as OEMs, start ups, public transport and governments. Namely, all stakeholders active in the mobility domain have to adapt to changing needs of the end users to make the travel experience safe and pleasant. At the same time, challenges such as sustainability (e.g. carbon footprint) need to be taken into consideration.
Given this status quo, the necessity of novel business models is a logical consequence. However, due to the large variety of important components, the partly hard-to-reform landscape and the diversity of involved stakeholders makes this an interesting challenge of research. Thus, this thesis provides the opportunity of discovering what is needed for a deployment of novel applications and services within the area of autonomous mobility.
Main Research Focus
- Conduct literature research and create an overview on possible interplay of cooperative and connected autonomous mobility framework (CCAM) and platform economy (PE) approaches.
- Contribute your own profound ideas.
- Choose several PE use cases, identify relevant Stakeholders and visualise the interconnectivity between all instances.
- Assess what each selected case’s value proposition is, and how they could be integrated into a business model, e.g. by starting with a Business Model Canvas (BMC).
- Develop a description of the encountered landscape, and discuss possible future scenarios including its pros and cons within the most relevant fields.
- Bonus: include concepts for data and infrastructure security.
- General knowledge on state-of-the-art autonomous mobility solutions and the platform economy concept.
- Preferably successfully completed university courses in the area of business modelling and platform economy.
- High motivation of discovering novel use cases within the autonomous mobility framework.
- Good grades in relevant fields are beneficial.
- Business Model Canvas
- TUM: Survey on mobility platform ecosystems
- Fraunhofer: Smart Mobility as a Service
- Wang et al.
- Platform Cooperativism
- Fundamentals of PE (in German)
- Understanding the Platform Economy: Signals, Trust, and Social Interaction
- Design and Governance of Platform Ecosystems – Key Concepts and Issues for Future Research
Curious? Get in Touch.
We are looking forward to receive your application. Please include your current transcript of records and Curriculum vitae in tabular form; all documents in PDF format.