Plattform Economy and Autonomous Mobility Solutions: Effects on Urban Environment
Level: Master Thesis
Explaining the Effects of Autonomous Driving in Platform-based Urban Mobility on Public Space, Road Infrastructure and MaaS Solutions
In recent years, the development of cooperative and connected automated mobility solutions (CCAM) has experienced an upswing. Platform based services such as Mobility-as-a-service (MaaS), Car-as-a-service (CaaS), car pooling, ride hailing, and many more are leading to various changes on how mobility is perceived. Today, the question arises of how holistic approaches can be designed to deploy CCAM use cases into real-world environments.
Thus, an essential focus is to understand the role and effects that appear from data collected in digitalized infrastructures and autonomous vehicles. Digital platforms acquire large amounts of data from various sources, which are aggregated and then made available for use in a wide variety of products and services. Consequently, the availability of this data shapes the success of mobility services offered in CCAM-environments. Given this foundation, several effects on the city landscape are possible. In fact, an important research topic is the effect of (steered) data on public space, road infrastructure and MaaS solutions.
Main Research Focus
- Conduct literature research and create an overview on possible interplay of cooperative and connected autonomous mobility framework (CCAM) and platform economy (PE) approaches.
- Contribute your own profound ideas.
- Choose several CCAM use cases, identify relevant Stakeholders and visualise the interconnectivity between all instances.
- Analyse the impact of chosen use cases in terms of the city landscape and develop a framework/tool that provides answers to the following questions:
- To what extent can MaaS solutions improve efficiency for end users?
- How do CCAM solutions impact land use?
- How could CCAM and MaaS alter the design of urban space?
- How does CCAM impact CO2 emissions and km travelled per day?
- What further parameters need to be taken into account?
- Conclude a recommendation how to steer CCAM development towards achieving a desirable city of the future
- General knowledge on state-of-the-art autonomous mobility solutions and the platform economy concept.
- Preferably successfully completed university courses in the area of business modelling and platform economy.
- You show a high degree of motivation in assessing CCAM impacts on several dimensions in order to shape the desirable city of the future.
- Good grades in relevant fields are beneficial.
Curious? Get in Touch.
We are looking forward to receiving your application. Please include your current transcript of records and Curriculum vitae in tabular form; all documents in PDF format.